WHAT ARE THE PARTS OF HUMAN KNEE AND WHICH AMONG THEM COMMONLY GETS INVOLVED IN ARTHRITIS?
The knee joint is a cluster of three small compartments, namely the inner (medial), outer (lateral) and the knee cap (patella-femoral) compartment.
Arthritis due to aging usually affects the medial or inner compartment. In other words wear and tear of the knee has a strong tendency to restrict itself to a particular compartment, most commonly the inner one.
your personal case manager will ensure thate you receive the best possible care
What is partial knee Replacement?
Partial knee Replacement is a surgical procedure done to replace the worn-out inner compartment of the knee (white arrow).
Unlike total knee replacement where the entire joint is replaced, in partial knee replacement at least 70% of the knee joint is preserved.
What is Patello-Femoral (Kneecap) Replacement?
The Patello-Femoral or the kneecap Replacement is done when the wear and tear is limited to the knee cap compartment (White arrow).
Such isolated knee cap arthritis can occur after a previous fracture of the knee cap or a developmental abnormality involving the knee cap.
What are the advantages of partial knee Replacement?
- Preservation of unaffected bone, cartilage, ligaments and soft tissues.
- Normal joint function and better knee bending.
- Better sensory feedback.
- Faster recovery after surgery.
- Smaller incisions and small scar.
- Limited disturbance of the tissues.
- Less blood loss and less pain.
Chapters & International Research Publications
Dr. Raj Kanna has published a number of papers on Partial Knee Replacement in reputed International Journals that include:
- Modular Bicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty: Indications, technique, prosthetic design, and results. Accepted in Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, Vol.83 -1- 2017.
- Patello-Femoral Arthroplasty in a bilateral Syme’s Amputee – a case report. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2016 Jan-Mar; 7(1): 40-4
- Post-Operative Limb Alignment And its Determinants after Minimally Invasive Oxford Medial Unicompartmental Knee. Journal of Arthroplasty Sep 2011, 26(6); 919-25.
- Dr. Kanna has also coauthored a chapter titled Uni-Compartmental Knee Arthroplasty for the second edition of the book titled Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma published by the Indian Orthopaedic Association.