Dr. Raj Kanna - Orthopaedic and Knee surgeon
Apollo Spectra, MRC Nagar, Chennai
Prashanth Super Speciality Hospital, Velachery, Chennai
Dr Raj Kanna Knee & Ortho Clinic, Anna Nagar, Chennai
Dr Raj Kanna is a specialist in computer assisted knee replacement surgery and key hole sur- gery of the knee joint.
|August 2009||Clinical Knee Fellow, Southampton general hospital, UK.|
|September 2008||Joint Replacement Fellow, Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai, India.|
|February 2006||D.N.B Orthopaedic Surgery National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, India.|
|January 2006||M.S Orthopaedic Surgery Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, India.|
|March 2001||MBBS Madurai Medical College, Tamil Nadu, India.|
- First in South India to perform Computer Assisted Revision Knee Replacement.
- First In South India to do Computer Assisted Rotating Platform (High Flexion) Knee Replacement Surgery.
- First In South India to Perform Computer Assisted Knee Replacement with Gap Balancing Method.
- First to write a Comprehensive review article on Modular Bi compartmental (Partial) Knee Replacement published in International Orthopaedic Journal (Octa Orthopaedica Belgica).
- Indian Medical Association Membership Number: 149/10736/2014,15
- Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Membership Number: LM/R/175
- Indian Orthopaedic Association Membership Number: LM11123
- Indian Society of Hip and Knee Surgeons Membership Number: S 01 094
Registered under The Tamil Nadu Medical Council as "Registered Medical Practitioner". Registration Number: 66043 / Date of Registration: 01: 06 : 2000.
Have coauthored a chapter titled "Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty" for the second edition of the book titled "Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma" published by Indian Orthopaedic Association.
Have authored/ coauthored the following scientific articles, which are published in international orthopaedic journals.
- Modular bicompartmental knee arthroplasty: Indications, tech- nique, prosthetic design, and results. Accepted for publication in Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, 2017, 83.
- Patello-Femoral Arthroplasty in a bilateral syme’s amputee - a case report. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2016 Jan-Mar;7(1):40-4.
- The influence of preoperative deformity on valgus correction angle: an analysis of 503 total knee arthroplasties. Journal of Arthroplasty Jan 2013, 28(1); 207.
- Postoperative limb alignment and its determinants after minimally invasive Oxford medial unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty Sep 2011, 26(6); 919 25.
- Efficacy of periarticular injection of bupivacaine, fentanyl and methylprednisolone in tka : a prospective, randomized trial in patients undergoing simultaneous bilateral tka. Journal of Arthroplasty Sep 2010, 25(6); 8517.
- Variability in the range of inter-anterior superior iliac spine distance and its correlation with femoral head centre. A prospective computed tomography study of 200 adults. Skeletal Radiol. 2010 Apr;39(4):3638.
- Comparison of limb and component alignment using image intensifier guided conventional versu computer assisted total knee arthroplasty: a prospective, randomised, single-surgeon study of 467 knees. Journal of Arthroplasty Oct 2007, 22(7): 953-959.
- Quantification of effect of sequential posteromedial release on flexion and extension gaps: a computer-assisted study in cadaveric knees using 2 different types of distractors. Journal of Arthroplasty Aug 2009, 24(5) 795, 805.
- Bilateral Macrodactyly of Hands and Feet with post axial involvement: a case report. Journal of Hand Surgery British volume 2005, 30B;6: 618 - 20.
I have designed two femur re-cutting blocks useful for primary and revision total knee arthroplasty and have developed a simple technique for re cutting the femur. This was funded by Depuy and is submitted to Journal of Arthroplasty.
Best paper award for the year 2004 in the state conference, conducted by Karnataka Orthopaedic Association, Karnataka, India.
Scientific paper presentation:
- Presented the Scientific paper titled "Clinical Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: the Existing Scenario" in the 29th Annual Karnataka State Conference Feb 2005.
- Presented the Scientific paper titled "Incursion of Lumbricals into the Carpal Tunnel: a Cadaver Study" in the 28th Annual Conference of Indian Society for surgery of the hand Nov 2004.
- Presented the Scientific paper titled "Incursion of Lumbricals into the Carpal Tunnel: an intraoperative Study" in the 28th Annual Karnataka State Conference Feb 2004.
Presented the poster titled "Bilateral Macrodactyly of Hands and Feet" in the 27th Annual Karnataka State Conference Feb 2003.
Conferences, workshops and seminar programs attended:
- Participated in a debate “OA Knee - UNI Knee arthroplasty is better” con- ducted at TNOACON in February 2020.
- Guest Lecture on “ACL – Indications and techniques” at Madurai Shoulder Knee Con 2019.
- Presented a scientific paper “Navigation Achieves Excellent Clinical, Func- tional and Radiological Results in Obese as in Non-Obese Patients under- going TKA – A Prospective single surgeon study of 150 Knees” at IOA- CON in December 2018.
- Guest lecture on “Computer Navigation of Knee A brilliant tool to Cut, align & Balance” at the Tamil Nadu State Orthopaedic Conference 2018.
- Guest lecture on “Computer Assisted Knee Replacement What is Different, Interesting & Better” at the Tamil Nadu State Orthopaedic Conference 2017.
- Chaired a session “ACL Reconstruction using Hamstrings Graft” at the International Orthopaedic congress “Apollo Cosmic” on 28th February 2015, Chennai.
- Instructional Course : Partial Knee Replacement , Oxford Course on 4th and 5th Dec, 2012, Mumbai.
- APAS 2007 9th annual Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society conference.
- IROC 2007 Advances & Techniques in Joint Replacement Surgery: 5th winter meeting a continuing medical education programme.
- World class care for arthritis and sports injuries of the knee.
- Unmatched results through diligent techniques and cutting edge technology.
- Individualised care and support, like a member of the family.
- Treatment within the reach of the economic class.
- To be a global leader in computer assisted knee surgeries.
- To bring a change in the lives of millions suffering from joint problems.
- Push the boundaries of technology and be innovative.
- To contribute to the world literature through dedicated research.
- Building trust and hope.
- Assured results.
- Using cutting edge technology.
- Making it happen.